REPUBLIC OF TURKEY MINISTRY OF CULTURE AND TOURISM

Afyon - Historic National Parks Directorate Victory Museum

Museum The museum is in Afyonkarahisar City Centre, situated at a prime location across Afyonkarahisar Fort and Victory Monument. This two-storey building was built by Saitoglu Mehmet Sait Efendi in pre-Republican period between 1915 and 1920.

It carries the general characteristics of Neoclassical architecture. Its planning is a traditional Anatolian house (a large anteroom with rooms at perimeter opening to the centre). It was used as the Afyon Municipal Council building until the new Council building built in 1930. After the construction of the present Council building, it was allotted to the Police Department. In 1985, by the National Estates Department, it was transferred to the Historic National Parks Directorate to be used as Victory Museum. The Directorate officially took over the building on 11 September 1986 and the Directorate moved into the building in 1992.

 Reconstruction and refurbishment of the building are still underway. The building has a very important place in the history of the National Struggle of life and death in the period of 1919 - 1922. Right after the liberation of Afyonkarahisar on 27 August 1922, Commander - in - Chief Mustafa Kemal Pasha and Western Front Commander Ismet Pasha, Chief of General Staff Fevzi Cakmak Pasha and Western Front Chief of Operations Tevfik (Biyikoglu) Pasha stayed in and used the building as the Headquarters.