was built in Edirne during 1568-1575 by architect Mimar Sinan upon the orders
of Sultan Selim II. Mimar Sinan has referred to this mosque as his masterpiece.
It has 4 minarets, each with three galleries, and 71 m high. Three separate
staircases lead up to the galleries. The dome is 31.28 m in diameter and its
height from the floor is 43.28 m. It rests on eight pillars. The mosque is famous
for its pulpit and tilings. During the Russian invasion of Edirne in 1878,
some of the tiles were taken to Russia.