Veli, whose real name was Numan-bin Koyunluca Ahmet was born in the Solfasol
village of Ankara in 1352 (753 H.)
He is the founder
of the Bayrami sect, a sufi poet and composer of hymns. Upon competing his education
in Ankara and Bursa, he started to teach at the theological school called Karamedrese
in Ankara, which was built by a philantrophic lady called Meklike Hatun.
It is located
in the Ulus section of Ankara next to the Augustus temple.
in 831 H (1427/28), the mosque as it stands today shows the characteristics
of late 17th century and 18th century mosques.
It has a lengthwise
rectangular plan and the sections at north and west are later additions.
At the south east
wall of the mausoleum, there is a two - gallery minaret with a square plan,
stone base and brick body.
There is an inscription
of Word of the God (Kelime-i Tevhid) in large Arabic calligraphy (sülüs) on
the protrouting southern wall of the late-comer's section.
space is covered with a wooden ceiling. The hexagonal large rosette in the center
of the ceiling is framed with six rows of flowered borders. The same rosette
in smaller scale can be seen on the central rectangular panel of the ceiling
of the annexed section west to the women's section. The edges of the ceiling
of the inner space of the mosque are decorated with flower patterned cornices.
The same type of cornices are also used in the women's section.
The lower windows of the mosque are rectangular and have iron grids. On the
exterior they are bordered with niches with pointed arches. Upper windows are
pointed arched, have plaster gratings and stained glass and bordered with chiselled
On the interior,
Kütahya tiles are placed up to the top of the windows. After the tiles, transition
to plain wall is made with a border of chiselled palmette.
The plaster Mihrab
is built with a moulding technique and is in the form of stalacti niched. Pieces
from Koran are inscribed in five rows on the pediment of the Mihrab
The Word of God
can be seen on Mihrab borders as decoration. Colored Mimbar is made with false
"kündekari" technique and displays a fine workmanship.
The painted engravings
on wood are made by the engraver Nakkaş Mustafa. Two inscriptions on kıble side
indicate that the mosque was restored in 1714 by one of the grandsons of Hacı
Bayram-ı Veli, Mehmet Baba.
which is dated as 1429, is next to thee mihrab wall of the mosque.
It is a structure
with a square plan, octagonal drum and a leaded dome covers it. The front façade
is marble. Portal is particularly defined on the façade. It has a slided
arch decorated with black and white marbles in a rectangular frame and on the
inside there is an entrance door arch decorated with interlocking colored stones
in a zig zag pattern. The wooden exterior and interior entrance doors are at
Ankara Ethnography Museum. The window to the left of the portal is bordered
with a multi colored friese and has iron grills. This is one of the best examples
of 15 th century mausaleums of Ankara
There is another
mausoleum in the garden of the mosque which has octagonal plan and a dome. This
work which is known as Osman Fazıl Pasha Mausoleum belongs to the 18th century.
It was built by the Roman Emperor Augustus, probably in the years 25 - 20 B.C
at the location which was the Kyble and Men sacred location. The marble temple
which is 36 x 54,82 stands on a multi- step podium
The temple is
significant for its Latin and greek inscriptions which depict the doings of
Augustus. Augustus Temple has survived until our times in considerably good shape