bazaar was first built by Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror and was expanded during
the reign of Sultan Süleyman the Great (!520-1566), and reached its present
form in 1701. Its extends over 65 streets, covering an area of 30.702 square
meters. It contains a mosque, 21 inns, two vaulted bazaars, seven fountains,
a well and 3300 shops. It possesses 18 gates, eight of them large, ten of then
smaller. It has surrived five fires, and has been restored and repaired and
has reached our present times.