REPUBLIC OF TURKEY MINISTRY OF CULTURE AND TOURISM

Galata Mevlevi House

SACRED PLACES, SACRED OBJECTS, CONVENTS

Galata Mevlevi House
It was built by İskender Pasha in 1491. The first sheikh was Safayi Dede from Sinop. It was burnt down in 1765 and rebuilt. The famous Ottoman poet Sheikb Galip became its religious chief in 1791. The last Sheikb in 1925 was Ahmet Celalettin Dede. Many tombs exist in its cemetary of famous followers of the Mevlana order. It was converted into the Museum of Ottoman Literature in 1973.