Erzurum Museum which was first founded at Double Minareted Medrese (old theological school) in 1942, moved to its new building in 1967. Its collection was put together with findings from the excavations carried out at Erzurum and its environs, purchases, donations and confiscations. Today some of these items are displayed but the major part is still kept and protected in storage. The museum has two storeys, with three halls for displays. Two of these halls are allocated to archaeological and ethnographical pieces while the third one is reserved for coins.
Most of the displayed archaeological items are the findings from tumuli at Karaz, Pulur, Güzelova and the environs. These are followed by artefacts from the Trans, Caucasian, Urartu and Classical Periods. The exhibited ethnographic pieces are local costumes from the Ottoman period, jewellery, utensils, beddings, scissors, tobaco boxes and the like.
The displayed coins made from gold, silver and bronze belong to various periods (Abbasi, İlhanlı, Seljuk, Ottoman and Republican years etc.) of Turkey. Two other sites, Üç Kümbetler (Three Vaults) and Erzurum Castle operate in connection with the Erzurum Museum Directorate.
One of the three vaults, which is placed on an octagonal plan, is considered to belong to Emir Saltuk, who was the founder of the Saltuk State. All three vaults are completely built from cut stones but the identities of the other two are unknown. They have a special place among the vaults belonging to Turks with their original plans, the material used and their decorations.
The Inner Castle which was built on a hill of 2000m altitude was commissioned by the Roman Emperor Theodosius in the 5th century. It was used as military barracks by the Turks until recent years. Castle Mosque and Clock Tower are important as they are the first examples of the Turkish Architecture period. The tower which is called Tepsi Minare was used as an observation tower in the Middle Ages. It was transformed into a clock tower during the Baroque Period of the Ottoman Architecture. It was built by Abu'l Muzafferüdin Gazi who reigned in 1124-1132. The small mosque (mesjidt) which is covered with a single large dome, displays typical features of the Turkish Architecture.