The Mapping Museum of the Ministry of National Defence, General Command of Mapings is initially inaugurated in 1971, covering relief maps and one sample of old and currently being used insruments and materials.
In 1978, it was reorganized merely with annexure of a picture gallery and opened only for the staff of the General Command of Mapping and the governmental establishments.
The Museum at its present location was started to be rearranged again in 1987, completed and opened on 12 nd May, 1990 in a manner to reflect the Turkish mapping history and culture for the benefit of the public and the interested professionals and scientists.
In the new arrangement, it is enriched with old surveying instruments, materials, archives, maps and charts provided within the country and from abroad.
In addition, a room for honour guests,a map reading room containing all old and new maps and charts and publications relevant to the mapping and a hall, where the relief maps produced for the first time by the Turks in 1880 are exposed, are annexed to the museum and the picture gallery covering the works of the professionals and cartographers and Turkish painters is enlarged. A room specially reserved for atlases has provided the possiblity of reviewing the old products.
Measures are taken for best maintenance of the works exhibited at the museum and furthermore preparation of a catalogue is initiated by means of loading the existing books, atlases, volumes and old maps into the computer.