The State Cemetrey and its museum, being found in Atatürk's forest-farm area which also contains the "Black sea Pool" that had been done by the order of Atatürk in 1931 and restored in the programme of the State Cemetrey Construction, is placed on a hill overlooking Ankara. The Ministry of Defence, which is responsible for the building of the State Cemetrey, also executes the care, repairing, restoration, environmental arrangement and managing services of it.
The State Cemetrey and its museum opened to public visit on 30th August, 1988 by the state's ceremony. A monument named "Simge" (meaning symbol) and the graves of the presidents and commanders of the Independence War surrounding it exist (in the structural totality of the state cemetrey). Beside those, 3 separate statue groups symbolizing the Independence War and development of the Turkish Republic also exist.
The museum building consists of two parts; a ground floor and a basement. The belongings and documents of the presidents and commanders of the Independence War are being exhibited. Anıtkabir is seen through the window placed on the east facade, when looked towards the main entrance of the museum. So a spiritual bond linked the great leader Atatürk and his close arm-friends who were the commanders of the Independence War and the presidents who symbolize the continuity of the Turkish Republic, a photography exhibition "The Independence War" and the belongings of the commanders and presidents provided from their heirs are being exhibited on the ground floor. All the books written by Kâzım Karabekir and a portrait of Atatürk painted by the major-general M. Hayri TARHAN are worth seeing, among the pieces exhibited.
The goods obtained from the heirs of the presidents and commanders of the Independence War who are buried in the State Cemetrey, are being exhibited in the basement; such as, uniforms, arms medals and honour medals, swords, whips, sword-walking stick, shoes, high boots and snow boots and some identity cards. There are interesting pieces which may lighten our near past history; such as, one of the flag documents containing congratulation messages thrown from the French airplanes on 29th October, 1923, the day the Turkish Republic was declared.
A map bag and a whip belonging to the Greek Commander General Trikopis, and medals and honour medals given to our president and commanders from several countries are other interesting pieces.
Also, a documentary archives film about "The Independence War" is shown by cinevision to the visitors, in the basement hall. The museum is open every day, except Mondays, between 10.00-17.00 hours.