History of the Museum
Since Malatya has abundant and rich resources in terms of archaeological and ethnographic works, a museum building has been needed. The museum, taken into service in 1969 is a temporary building was moved in 1979 to its new place near Kernek Park, whose construction was started in 1975.
Information Relating to the Works in the Museum
The number of the works re - arranged and taken into exhibition in the museum is 15.518.
In the museum, the fossils found in especially the sand mines or sand rocks in Malatya region, Neolithic, Calcolithic, Bronze Period finds; Hittite, Urartu, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk and Ottoman Period works are exhibited.
In the areas under Karakaya Dam Lake in the provincial borders of Malatya, some of the works obtained from Pirot, Caferhöyük, Köşkerbaba, İmamoğlu and Değirmentepe Tumulus, Arslantepe Tumulus are given hereunder:
Neolithic small sculptures (8000 BC); obsidian knives, sickles, arrow ends, cutters and perforators; swords and spear ends (3200 - 3000 AD); human grave (4000 AD); seal prints (3200 - 3000); rythons (1200 - 1700 BC), sculptures and rock inscriptions.